Saturday, May 15, 2010

Learning the rules of the road . . .

I don't know what is was this week that had me thinking about where I learned the rules of the road. But as I rolled along on my way to and from work with the morning traffic on my 35lb Trek 520, navigating and sharing the road with several thousands of tons of vehicles - I thought of my dad, Howard.

Me and my dad on one of his many two wheelers - I'm all of 4 years old!


My dad had a great passion for the motorized mode of transportation. Although he never was a bicyclist, he raced stock cars, owned a small engine plane and had several BMW Motorcycles which he traveled thousands of miles on across our great country. I sometimes think he'd have made a great cowboy!

I was fortunate enough to share many, many of those miles with him on the back of his motorcycle. I think the annual event that sticks in my mind the most was the Octoberfest Motorcycle Rally that took place in Ruidoso, NM.

When it came to traveling on the highways and byways, it was all business with my dad. No stupid stuff when you where behind the wheel. And you had to pay attention to everyone around you "always know where they are" he'd say to me. He loved to teach you too. You'd be in the car, or the plane, or on the motorcycle and he'd always be teaching you some version of his "Road Safety 101".

There are some mornings when commuting by bike is nerve wracking. The traffic is heavy, the motorists are in a hurry and my legs feel like lead (too much sweet stuff before bed :) - and I have to rely on what I've learned about the Rules of the Road.

My dad has passed but he's with me every day as I recall all those lessons now that I'm a Commuting Cyclist. Thanks Dad

Ride safe out there . . . we're all in this together
Kath

1 comment: